Archives and History

From the Archives: William Paret

William Paret was elected Bishop of Maryland to succeed the late William Pinkney and was consecrated January 8, 1885. The new bishop spoke at the African American Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin at a special missionary service only twelve days after his consecration, and the next day attended a conference of laity and clergy to consider “Church Work Among the Colored People.”

Read More

From the Archives: John Gardner Murray, Seventh Bishop of Maryland

Because all of Bishop John Gardner Murray’s correspondence was destroyed in 1936, there are many details about him which remain unknown. The titillating phrase in Bishop Helfenstein’s letter asking permission of the Chancellor to destroy Murray’s papers, “many things would be unearthed which had just as well be forgotten” does make us wonder what ideas or actions were thought best hidden from view.

Read More

From the Archives: 1918 Influenza Epidemic Addendum

Did you know that the Episcopal Church established a War Commission during the First World War? The address was 14 Wall Street, New York, and the coadjutor bishop of Southern Ohio, the Right Rev. Theodore Irving Reese, held the job of chairman of the executive committee. He wrote to the Rev. Benjamin N. Bird, serving as a civilian chaplain at Camp Meade, Maryland, on October 3, 1918, about resources available during the influenza epidemic.

Read More